Secret records obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) reveal tens of thousands of people in more than 170 countries and territories linked to offshore companies and trusts.
- Government officials and their families and associates in Azerbaijan, Russia, Canada, Pakistan, the Philippines, Thailand, Mongolia and other countries have embraced the use of covert companies and bank accounts.
- The mega-rich use complex offshore structures to own mansions, yachts, art masterpieces and other assets, gaining tax advantages and anonymity not available to average people.
- Many of the world’s top’s banks – including UBS, Clariden and Deutsche Bank – have aggressively worked to provide their customers with secrecy-cloaked companies in the British Virgin Islands and other offshore hideaways.
- A well-paid industry of accountants, middlemen and other operatives has helped offshore patrons shroud their identities and business interests, providing shelter in many cases to money laundering or other misconduct.
- Ponzi schemers and other large-scale fraudsters routinely use offshore havens to pull off their shell games and move their ill-gotten gains.Here are some examples from around the world:
Georgia: Bidzina Ivanishvili, Prime Minister
France: Jean-Jacques Augier, Publisher
Mongolia: Bayartsogt Sangajav, Politician
Venezuela: José Eliecer Pinto Gutiérrez, Army General
Myanmar/Burma:Aye Zaw Win, Son-in-law of Burma’s former dictator Ne Win
South Africa/Zimbabwe: Muller Conrad “Billy” Rautenbach
Azerbaijan:Ilham Aliyev, Mehriban Aliyeva, Arzu Aliyeva and Leyla Aliyeva,Ruling family
United States: Denise Rich, Songwriter
Indonesia: Eka Tjipta Widjaja, Businessman
Thailand: Potjaman Na Pombejra, Former Thai first lady
Fiji: Fred Marafono ,Mercenary
Canada: E.F. Anthony “Tony” Merchant,Trial lawyer
Kazakhstan: Mukhtar Ablyazov, Businessman
Philippines: Maria Imelda Marcos Manotoc ,Politician
Kuwait: Sheik Sabah Jaber Al-Ali Al-Sabah and two relatives,Members of Kuwait’s ruling family
Colombia: Tomás Uribe Moreno and Jerónimo Alberto Uribe Moreno,Businessmen
Djibouti: Abdourahman “Charles” Boreh ,Businessman and politician
Spain: Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza, Art collector and philanthropist
Ukrain: Dmytro Firtash, Businessman
Pakistan: Moonis Elahi,Legislator
Saudi Arabia: Hassan Mohammed and Fady Mohammed Jameel, Businessmen
Malaysia: Mirzan Bin Mahathir, Businessman (Son of Mahathir Mohamad)
Italy: Fabio Ghioni,Hacker
Brazil: Clarice, Leo and Fabio Steinbruch, Businessmen
India: Ravikant Ruia, Businessman
Mexico: Dionisio Garza Medina, Businessman
Greece: Apostolos Vakakis, Businessman
Jordan: Suha, Omar and Aysha Shoman,Widow and children of one of Jordan’s richest families
Tanzania: Mehbub Yusufali Manji, Businessman
For more detail check it out from this link:
To see how ICIJ’s Project Team analyzed the offshore files, go to this link: